Sunday, August 24, 2014

BLOG ASSIGNMENT #1

What About EDM310?

You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step
Before I registered for EDM 310, I asked a classmate what his thoughts were about the class. He informed me that the class was very time consuming and you had several projects to complete. He also informed me that if I didn't have time to dedicate a significant amount of time to the class, then I shouldn't register for it. This made me fearful because I didn't have a choice but to take it this semester because I was applying for Candidacy in the Spring. In addition, I have a full-time job that takes up much of my time. I also feared that I would be behind because the last time I was in a classroom, teachers were still using transparencies to teach. I am thinking to myself, here I am taking a class with twenty year olds and they have probably never seen a transparency, how am I going to get through this class?

EDM 310 is different from other classes I have taken in college because this class teaches you to learn in different formats than the traditional way of learning. This class teaches us to be independent learners. We as students must truly be devoted to learning not just memorizing. Most courses feed the information to you and test you on what you can remember. EDM 310 teaches you skills that will stay with you for your entire professional career. EDM 310 is similar to classes I have taken before in the fact that you are always to have a positive attitude towards what is being taught to you. Never have the attitude that you will never use these techniques because you want to be a PE teacher or a non traditional teacher that doesn't have a classroom. Another similarity is that asking for help is encouraged not frown upon. Classes that I have taken before really pushed this quality. Most of my teachers in undergraduate had an open door policy. They always encouraged students to come early in the semester and not wait until the end.

I think the most difficult thing for me in EDM 310 will be how to divide my time between EDM 310, my other classes, and work. I will have to find hidden time, like come early to class or get up an hour or two early each morning to work on the assignments and leave some time after work to finish assignments in my other classes. Other ways I can approach my difficult aspect is to print out a calendar and make sure I put all assignments down on their due date and when possible get an early start on future assignments.

My questions for EDM 310 would be: How will I be able to use the material I am learning in class to teaching Physical Education? How do I incorporate these media techniques to a skill lesson like baseball? Ideas I have to address these questions are when the projects and assignments are given that I can structure it to fit a physical education topic when it is allowed and I research how other physical education teachers may have incorporated audio and text to their lesson plans.

Looking ahead to the assignments that will be given, I know I will be challenged. I believe this class will continue to help me grow as a professional and to accomplish my goal to become a dedicated, hard working teacher willing to teach my students skills and knowledge they will not forget.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very thorough blog post! I like how you stated, "this class teaches you to learn in different formats than the traditional way of learning." This is very true and is why this class can be a challenge. If you learn to manage your time well, you will do great. Let us know if we can be of any help and good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete