Sunday, October 12, 2014

C4T #2

http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org/

Title - I Read Blocked Blogs

In his post about banned reading material, Dr. Scott McLeod gives a passionate comment about how he strongly opposes censorship on books and why he supports students and educators freedom to read any book that is on the banned list.
Censorship causes blindness. READ!
He poses the question, "Does this censorship apply to the blogs and sites that schools filter based on their descriptive category?" Dr. McLeod mentions Banned Books Week was September 21-27. In my comment I stated I truly believe students and teachers should celebrate the right to read. I personally have read 75% of the books on the banned list for schools. I mention that I don't have a distorted view on life or feel uncomfortable after reading books with certain risque topics. "HAVE FREADOM!" Below is the comment I left:

Hi! My name is Sammi. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, Al. I will be summarizing my visits to your blog with a post on my class blog on 10/12/14. My Twitter name is @PoiseRed. Mr McLeod, thank you for bringing this subject to light. I too, oppose censorship of reading material. I do not believe that certain books should be banned in school. I looked over the banned list of books and found that I have read over half of them. It did not give me a distorted view of how things were in the past; nor did it make me feel uncomfortable about certain topics. What some school systems (and parents) should realize is that they are hurting students by not exposing them to how things were in the past. They must not block history. Students have a right to read and I will encourage my students to do just that. Websites, categorize as social media, should not be banned. These tools can be used to gather information for a project or get great ideas to start one. If used in a positive way, these websites and others like it, can enhance a student's academic journey.

Title - Can We Really Call It Learning?

In this post, Dr. Scott McLeod mentions that most students do not remember what they have learned a few weeks after taking a test. He wonders if this is really learning? He poses the question "How much of what students "learn" in school falls into this category?" In my comment, I mention that Dr. Strange calls this type of education "burp-back education."
I study, I take the test, I pass it, I forget what I learnt
I gave the suggestion to always have teachers include a project-based learning assignment so that students will get a deeper knowledge of the class topic. When a test is given they are not memorizing notes, but answering questions based off the project. Below is the comment I left:

Hi! I believe this is not considered learning although, as a Senior student, I am guilty of this. You are right Mr. McLeod, too much of what students are learning falls into this category. My professor, Dr. Strange, of my educational media course calls this type of learning "burp-back education." In order to curb this style of learning , teachers should always include a project-based learning assignment. This will help students have a better knowledge of the class topic. When the test is given, they are not just memorizing notes to pass, but they are answering questions based off the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment