Saturday, November 29, 2014

C4T #4

http://www.angelamaiers.com/blog

The Sandbox Manifesto
The Sandbox Manifesto

    In this post, Angela Maiers compares children playing in a sandbox to playing by the rules at work with others. She gives a manifesto to live by. "The Sandbox Manifesto is both a declaration and an invitation to keep the experience of the sandbox alive and to recognize and honor the wisdom we acquired through our experiences on the inside." She lists ten tenets to think about:

1. Sharing is caring
2. Messy is good
3. Imagination is your greatest asset
4. Sand is for filling buckets
5. Hugs help and smiles always matter
6. Take it to the community
7. The community means both friends and strangers
8. You have one job - be remarkable
9. You are the master of your fate and the captain of your soul
10. Play is the work

  In my comment, I expressed that I really enjoyed reading her blog. I agreed with Mrs. Maiers that we as adults have lost the innocence that children have when they play with each other in the sandbox. I also expressed that my favorite part of her blog was manifesto #3, imagination is your greatest asset. She tells educators to dream big and bold and be brave. Her blog was very inspiring. Below is the comment I left:

   Hi Mrs. Maiers! My name is Sammi Taylor. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I will be summarizing my visits to your blog on my class blog on 11/30/14. This was a great post! I really enjoyed reading it. You are so right, we have strayed away from the lessons we learned playing in the sandbox. The innocence that surrounds the sandbox is something that I hope to instill into my students so they will carry it with them throughout their life. Your post challenges me to follow the rules of the Sandbox Manifesto. My favorite is the part where you said dream big and dream bold, anything is possible; be brave enough to believe it is true. So many times I have allowed fear to take over. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Student Geniuses Stand Up in Grand Island

#Choose2Matter logo

   Mrs. Maiers, along with John Michel, a US Air Force General, spoke at a leadership assembly at Grand Island High School where she launched the program Choose2Matter. Choose2Matter is a program that encourages students to bring out the genius in themselves. So many times students define themselves by test scores and extracurricular achievements. Mrs. Maiers wants students to know they can change the world starting today. "The no. 1 rule of Choose2Matter is Be Brave." In my comment, I agreed that students should not base their self-worth off test scores and extracurricular achievement. I told her I was glad to see that she had a great turnout from the students at Grand Island. I wished her good luck on the program and a Happy Thanksgiving! Below is the comment I left:

   Hi Mrs. Maiers! Choose2Matter sounds like an excellent program for high school students. I agree, students should not be judged strictly off extracurricular achievement or test scores. So many students judge their self-worth from how many A's they get on assignments and on how many clubs they can participate in. Bringing out the genius in them will show them they can make a difference. I am glad to see you had a high turnout from the students in Grand Island. Good luck on the program. I have really enjoyed reading your blog! Happy Thanksgiving! Sammi Taylor EDM310

No comments:

Post a Comment